Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I signed a one year lease on a home before moving in and see

Customer Question
Hi I signed a one...
Hi I signed a one year lease on a home before moving in and see it. Today I saw the house and did not like and my father is 80 years old cannot take the stairs two story . The real state agent said I am responsible for the one year and penalties. I told her if she can cancel it and just take the deposit and application fees which is 2180 dollars. What can I do . The first payment is on September 3rd
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Lawyer

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

The real estate agent is lying to you and you should let her know you will be filing a formal complaint with the state board of real estate agents. The landlord has a legal duty to mitigate. What that means is that even if you may not have the right to terminate your lease, once you notify the landlord you are terminating, the landlord has a legal affirmative duty to mitigate the damages by using reasonable efforts to re-lease the property. Once the property is re-leased, or if the landlord does not use reasonable efforts to re-lease, you would then be off the hook for further obligation. Given the current positive lease market, it is unlikely a judge is going to rule a landlord has satisfied the burden of using reasonable efforts to mitigate if the property is not re-leased within at least 2 months....so it's unlikely that a court would hold you responsible for the security deposit and the application fee. At worst, you would only be held responsible for an additional month. The agent is only telling you this because these agents want their commission.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer