Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My husband, a disabled Vet (60%) foreclosed on a VA loan for

Customer Question
rental property unit back in...
my husband, a disabled Vet (60%) foreclosed on a VA loan for rental property unit back in 1992 due to soldiers being called to war. Since this was so long ago, he is unsure what the lender or VA were able to sell it for. His credit was never affected and he continued to purchase homes and live life. In June 2016 we purchased a home through the VA only to learn that the V A is stating that he owes them 33000.00 For that foreclosure and proceeded to take his monthly disability monies. Many questions; Can they do this? VA guarantees one quarter of the loan to the vendor, so how can they can come back and collect one hundred percent of the loan from the person who foreclosed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

As a former VA foreclosure attorney, I find that your situation is highly unusual. I think that a Texas statute of limitations would bar such action. Also, I don't see how he could continue to use his VA eligibility after a VA loan foreclosure. Surely that judgment would have shown up on title searches if the new properties were in the same state and county. If you have a case number, the result of the sheriff sale may be looked up at the court where the suit was filed. You should also file a complain with the VA Inspector General's office (see below) and have some one look into this. It sounds like a mistake has been made. http://www.va.gov/oig/hotline/complainant-release-preference.asp

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and that you will now enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer