How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, a disabled Vet (60%) foreclosed on a VA loan for

Customer Question

my husband, a disabled Vet (60%) foreclosed on a VA loan for rental property unit back in 1992 due to soldiers being called to war. Since this was so long ago, he is unsure what the lender or VA were able to sell it for. His credit was never affected and he continued to purchase homes and live life. In June 2016 we purchased a home through the VA only to learn that the V A is stating that he owes them 33000.00 For that foreclosure and proceeded to take his monthly disability monies. Many questions; Can they do this? VA guarantees one quarter of the loan to the vendor, so how can they can come back and collect one hundred percent of the loan from the person who foreclosed?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 10 months ago.

As a former VA foreclosure attorney, I find that your situation is highly unusual. I think that a Texas statute of limitations would bar such action. Also, I don't see how he could continue to use his VA eligibility after a VA loan foreclosure. Surely that judgment would have shown up on title searches if the new properties were in the same state and county. If you have a case number, the result of the sheriff sale may be looked up at the court where the suit was filed. You should also file a complain with the VA Inspector General's office (see below) and have some one look into this. It sounds like a mistake has been made.

I hope that this ANSWER is helpful and that you will now enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Related Real Estate Law Questions