How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My condo HOA dues are expensive and continue to go up each

Customer Question

My condo HOA dues are expensive and continue to go up each year. I won't go into detail on the little outdoor work the property requires. Recently we have been assessed an additional mid-year amount of $1,400.00 to repair outdoor building paneling. As a condo owner - what are my right here? My understanding is the HOA owns the outside and I own the inside...when damage has occurred inside I have never been able to pursue the HOA for any cost reimbursement even when the damage started in another condo. What are the legal steps I can take? Where/when does it end? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately, while the condo association is responsible for the exterior of the building - this means that the association (all of you owners together) must pay for it, leading to the mid-year assessment.

You say that your separate interest (your condo) was damaged due to issues caused by a neighboring unit - you should have been compensated by the neighboring unit owner for this damage. (You may have had to sue them for it, and if it happened within the last 4 years you still can file suit, to collect for these damages).