How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A very large electric bill was transferred from my parents

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: A very large electric bill was transferred from my parents to me because I used their mailing address. They have an outstanding debt and edison is stating they can transfer it to anyone they feel was living at that residence at the time. I sent in a dispute with proof I was not living there but they turned it down. Now they are saying if I dont pay it they will shut off my electricity where I now reside. I need an attorney to help me but most the atty I contact do not want to take any cases against edison. Do you have a referral for an atty. I live in so california.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I need to get an atty but no one knows what type of atty handles cases against the giant that Edison is.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The bill from my parents is $11,000 it was very high. I had moved in and out of that house for a period of years but often kept it as my mailing address since I moved a lot. So I dont have too many records of all the places I lived, at least not for mailing purposes.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience in family law appeals and landlord-tenant law. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you. It is NO EXTRA CHARGE to you but it’s important to me! Thanks!

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. This is for educational purposes only and you are advised to seek your own legal counsel.

That's awful! I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's a good idea to get an attorney for this. Where are you located in California? I think I can help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will be awaiting my reply. I do not want to start any free trial though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am located currently in diamond bar , ca 91789
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dispute is regarding my parents Orange County address
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I just have to ask you -- do you want to speak with customer service, because we are independent contractor attorneys and we don't deal with subscription or $ issues. If you are not interested in getting an answer right now, then you would have to speak with customer service.

I am happy to put in the time to answer your question but we are not employees here, and we do not get paid unless the customer rates us after the answer. We can't commit to answering a question if we know we won't be paid for it.

I want to help you, so please let me know what you'd like to do. If there is a disupte about starting the free trial, then you need to get in touch with customer service as I cannot do that from this end. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I would like to speak to customer service :( I just wanted an atty referral
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Okay, why don't you contact customer service. We can't do any work if we are not being paid. I'm sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't mind paying just didn't want to be signed up for some subscription
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I have one more problem to deal with that I definitely didn't need