How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Neighbor owns "all of section 9", most of which is in the

Customer Question

Neighbor owns "all of section 9", most of which is in the lake. My property description travels down that section line to a marker which is about at high water on the beach, and then runs "100' feet along the shore of the lake." Can I claim riparian rights from that marker and out into the water at that angle?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Please keep in mind, this is a "general information forum" and does not substitute for a formal evaluation or opinion of your specific property rights (you need a local attorney for that information/opinion).

Yes, riparian rights should apply to the property based on your description. You can find information and supporting legal authorities from Michigan in this publication:

While you can certainly litigate this matter with your aggressive neighbor, Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

Related Real Estate Law Questions