How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbors contracted with a solar company to build a

Customer Question

My neighbors contracted with a solar company to build a ground mounted solar display. The solar company acquired a building g permit from the town. This enormous solar farm is now obstructing my lake views as well as causing glare.
I researched town zoning laws and found a zoning overlay map that places my neighborhood in a scenic viewshed and pages of codes requiring planning board approval, site surveys, and extensive regulations on what can be built, materials, colors etc.
I went to town and at first they said only a 10 foot setback was required. When I produced their own zoning overlay maps and codes, they have now brought in the town atty to review everything.
Do I need a lawyer now myself? I want this thing removed.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

I have experience in these types of view obstruction/view sharing issues, and in direct answer to your question "Do I need a lawyer now myself" - the answer is "yes"

If you really want to ensure that an already approved and existing structure is removed (particularly one that is currently very popular at the moment), I would definitely hire an attorney - do not expect the city attorney to look out for your interests, and do not expect the city's planning guides to protect you.

Your best arguments here are that the city did not follow the proper procedure in approving this in the first place, and you (or preferably your attorney) will have to argue that this failure cannot be remedied after the fact (both the owner and the city will try to do so).

Understand, you will have to pay for your attorney - nobody will reimburse you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

You can find local land use/zoning law attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou. I anticipated this answer.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome, and I truly do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "ForCustomerquot; and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.


Related Real Estate Law Questions