Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Can a private utility company assess charges against a

Customer Question

Can a private utility company assess charges against a property if the property is vacant and has been for five years. The previous owner of the property had the water turned off back in approximately 2011. That water company sold to FGUA, and FGUA said they notified all owners (in the Condos) that they were going to implement an availability charge for water. This started in January 2016. The bills have been going to the previous owner, and in this period of time, the bill as gone up to over $600.00 for no actual usage. I am the mortgage holder of the note for the previous owner. I have a deed in lieu of forclosure signed by the previous owner, that has not been recorded. I have been waiting for a new buyer and when it closes. I was going to record the deed. I have been notified by the previous owner of these bills that have been going to her address. It was turned off years ago, and no usage has been made. I have never received the notification of "availability charge". We never asked for nor put up a deposit with this company. Is this legal? What can I do?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I didn't know what leg I had to stand on. You are the first.
JA: Thank you.
Customer: No papers have been filed. My husband & I tried to talk to the company this morning to no avail. They are not willing to budge. The rep said he would have someone else call us tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. I will review it. And then we can discuss it. Sound good?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Reviewing...

Did the rep give any reason for not budging?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I thought this was a free service. Will I get the $5 deposit back? How do I go about getting it back afterwards?

Hello. You may want to speak with customer service about how Just Answer works.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The company rep said the board of directors voted to implement the charge.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I keep getting Messages on my cell phone. I am not able to open the last 2 messages. I don't want them. Please respond here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you not respond here?

Do you understand that this is not a free service?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I did not. Please discontinue this conversation