Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am on a newly organized board for a condominium HOA. The

Customer Question
previous treasurer had no audits...
I am on a newly organized board for a condominium HOA. The previous treasurer had no audits for the past 8 years. The condo is in Richardson,Tx. Is this a crime?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer
Tx law requires annual audits of the condo association finances. Failure to do so would open the treasurer and prior board to an award of damages and exposure to liability.
It is not a crime, but it is a breach of fiduciary duty for which the board and treasurer can be sued.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
criminal or civil liability?
Civil
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is NO additional charge to you for leaving a positive (5 stars) rating on this page.

Thanks.

Loren, Lawyer