How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55475
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to deed a property to my son. I live in GA

Customer Question

How to deed a property to my son. I live in GA
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hi Harry. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

This is a pretty simple process. You can certainly do this without a lawyer. You will need to sign a Quit Claim Deed transferring ownership to your son. You would sign this Deed, have it witnessed and notarized, and then record it in the real property records of the city/county where the property is located. I have attached a template of the Quit Claim Deed for you to save you the trouble and expense of searching for one elsewhere. :) You can easily fill it in with your specific information.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I thought in GA a real estate attorney has to be involved with a property transaction?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

If you are selling a property and obtaining title insurance, you will need an attorney. But, you should not need an attorney if you are simply transferring title by gift.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you know where the court house is here in Atlanta to file this Quit Claim Deed?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
How do I get a legal description of the property to file this Quit Claim Deed
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

You can get the legal description of the property off the existing deed. If you don't have a copy of the existing deed, you can get one from the real property records clerk. Here's the link to the location and recording of a deed for Fulton County:

Related Real Estate Law Questions