Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am in the final stages of buying a house, Closing date is

Customer Question

I am in the final stages of buying a house, Closing date is tomorrow. I all along wanted a later closing date as I was out of country attending the Olympics until yesterday, 8/24. To make the closing date possible, I requested a walk though today 8/25. I found out today the Seller denied that option, and wanted us to do before the closing tomorrow. Turns out neither my husband nor I can accomodate a walk through tommorrow during business hours, in addition the the closing appointment.
I am not comfortable signing anything unless I do a walk through. my agent mentions the listing agent wants to charge for everyday of delay, but they have not been very accomodating. What are my options and not lose my earnest money ? the Seller or agent has been difficult all along, I am ready to walk away.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Just a few minutes while I look something up please..

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, at this point, I hate to say it, but you are either going to have to move the closing back to afterhours, which is not really that big a deal, or somehow squeeze in a walkthrough prior to the closing already set.

.

I completely agree with you that you don't want to close without doing a final walk through as the seller could have done anything...taken appliances, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, there could be a flood, etc. So you can simply tell them that the closing needs to be backed up a few hours so you can do the walk though or it will have to be backed up a day so you can do a walkthrough tomorrow sometime..

.

As an aside, I used to be a closing attorney for 4 different lenders and this wasn't really an uncommon occurrence to back up a closing for a few hours as long as it was the same date. It is more trouble if it gets backed up a whole day as the docs have to be amended and any interest recalculated on a payoff and other items as they are calculated based on a specific closing date. But it can be done as they just plug a new date into the closing program and it recalculates everything and they print out new closing docs.

.

.

thanks