How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7310
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My home is owner financed. I need to refinance it within the

Customer Question

My home is owner financed. I need to refinance it within the next year.My son is disabled. I have a Trust established for him. I would like to incorporate ownership of the house into the trust with the trustee being put on the Deed as well as myself. When I finance it thru a regular mortgage company, could it be viewed as an initial mortgage. I'd rather not have to put 20% equity into it.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 11 months ago.

Typically, in a refinance situation, the lender looks at the fair market value of the property versus the amount of the loan in order to establish the percentage of equity. Different lenders require different amounts of equity. The problem that I think you might have will be in having a trust as the co-borrower and owner. I suspect that they will want you to be the borrower initially and then you can partially deed the property into the trust later. You will have to call a number of mortgage brokers to find out if, and how that can be done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is I were just to put the trustee, rather than the trust itself, on the deed making it having a co-borrower?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you not receive my last question?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 11 months ago.

Then the trustee will have to qualify for the loan too.

Related Real Estate Law Questions