How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 19296
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After living (by invitation) with my sister and

Customer Question

After living (by invitation) with my sister and brother-in-law for 9.5 years my brother-in-law did a self eviction on me the day after I had arrived in San Diego to visit my daughters and grandkids. My sister had no idea that he'd be doing this and tried hard to stop him, including calling me crying while it was happening. She called me in hysterics. I was stunned and told her to call the police which she immediately did. This came as a horrible hock to me since I never saw it coming or had any reason to believe he would do this to me. He also had a storage crate sitting in his driveway which is where he crammed all of my belongings that were in my room. He had ordered this two weeks before he 'evicted' me. He then sent the crate to my daughters home in San Diego. I was devastated as was my sister. She had recently recovered from a very serious illness prior to this. I was her caregiver throughout.
I want to sue him for both the self help eviction and for moving my belongings out of state without my permission. This happened on August 8th 2014. I had no way to return to WA until August 2015. I am now settled back in WA in a happy and secure relationship. My sister divorced him and is now living with me until September 15th when she gets her home back. Please advise me as to how to proceed in this matter. I will sue him in small claims court at the very least. I would much rather sue him by lawyer if I could find one who would do it on contingency. What he did to me caused me an enormous amount of emotional and physical pain. After September 15th I will no longer have an address to reach him at.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

It is unlikely that you would be able to find an Attorney to take the case on contingent fee basis. However, if you are low income, you should seek the services of free legal aid services in your area to assist you in going after him for this illegal outster and for any damages to your personal property.

If you are unable to find an Attorney, then you need to file a Small Claim against him the illegal outster and for your damages. The Small Claim would be filed at the Courthouse in the County where he resides. Click here for Small Claims forms and instructions.

Goodluck with your case,

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for answering my question. You answered my questions perfectly as I asked them. I should have asked you one more pressing question regarding my issue, but it was late and I was too tired to think. I wondered what financial damages I can seek against him for sending my belongings out of state without my permission. They are still there in storage since I can't afford to send them back. I will take more time next time I have a question.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

No problem. I will address your concern.

You would charge him for the storage fees, shipping charges, any damages to the property, the cost to transport the property back to Washington.

Related Real Estate Law Questions