Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Our apt lease is up end of this month. Going to renew. But

Customer Question
recd email this evening, apt...
Our apt lease is up end of this month. Going to renew. But recd email this evening, apt will not renew our lease. We were told to be out by end of month, 6 days!!! No rent due, all current. Our rent is 1150. They are now chging 1350 to new renters. What can we do?? Help! We have an 19 month old baby. Please help!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/25/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I am sorry to have to tell you this, but if you were under a fixed term lease and it is expiring, then if the landlord won't renew, you will have to vacate or the landlord can file an unlawful detainer (eviction) action the day after the lease expires.

.

The whole purpose of a fixed term lease is that it has a specific start date and a specific end date and they are set in the actual lease contract.

.

If you can't move in that time, you can hold over, but the eviction action will take about 3 weeks extra before they could get a judgment and a writ and have the sheriff physically remove you.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They only sent an email. Are they required to send a registered letter? I am surprised I saw the email!

No, there is no requirement for them to notify you at all, although many landlords will do so as a courtesy 30 or 60 days out just so they can plan. But with them raising the rent, they likely want the tenancy to end so they can implement the increase with a new tenant.

.

The lease says when it starts and ends and the parties are expected to understand and comply with the terms when they enter into the contract.

.

I am sorry the news isn't better.

.

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you. Guess money is better to this company than my baby and me. I am so incredibly sad. Never thought people were like this. My baby and I will be out if I can't find a place in 6 days. Thank you.

You are welcome. Glad to help even though the news is pretty lousy..

.

.

All the best to you and yours..

Barrister, Lawyer