How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9364
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sell land in Mexico. My father owned the land. The

Customer Question

I want to sell land in Mexico. My father owned the land. The deed lists him as owner of the property. Both my parents are now deceased. I have letters of office from the probate courts in Chicago. I have 2 sisters, I have apostille stamps on their death certificates and on the court documents for Mexico. Can I sell it?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We need the monies to pay off his debts in Il.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Did your father leave a Will?

Where in Mexico is the property located? Are you in Chicago?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No will.
Matamoros, Tamaulipas
Border from Brownsville Texas
I am in Tx. Now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He also left a house in Brownsville and I have the special warrant deed, both my parents are named.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry but you cannot sell it yet. The usual procedure is to file what are called ancillary probate cases in Brownsville, Texas and in Tamaulipas, Mexico, and both Texas and Mexico will apply the intestacy laws of the State where the property is located to the real property there, see

starting at Article 2663 and 2670.

ARTICULO 2670.- Si a la muerte de los padres quedaren solo hijos, la herencia se dividirá entre todos por partes iguales.

My translation: Each child takes an equal share upon the death of the last parent.

I have only located one law firm with offices in both Brownsville and Matamoros, here. There may be others listed in the Brownsville phone book.

You can get a free consultation from some of the Brownsville probate attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on this with an attorney licensed in Tamaulipas.

I hope this information is helpful.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry this is obviously not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.