Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in a coop that I own. The coop above me is owned by

Customer Question
Hello: I live in a...
Hello: I live in a coop that I own. The coop above me is owned by the coop board vice president. He has had several tenants there some quieter + more considerate than others. Even though there is a coop rule that states the fl.s must be 80% covered many are not. The new tenant. He moved in a few days ago does not. I hear every footstep. I can tell when they are barefoot or wearing shoes. The tenant that the owner had just before. Was very loud. I complained dozens of times to the management + the board. Very little was done. She did eventually get fl. covering for the bedroom but she + her boyfriend were very loud in the living room mostly with the TV the last several mo.s. What can I do. Sincerely; Erika Roemer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step is a complaint to the Co-op board regarding the violation of the rules. If the board refuses to take action, then I am afraid your sole remaining option is suing the tenant in court for nuisance and depriving you of your quiet use and enjoyment of the premises. You would need to make recordings inside your unit to use as evidence in court to prove they are violating the co-op noise rules and get the court to issue an order against them to cease and desist and for money damages for them interfering with your peaceable use and enjoyment of the premises.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer