How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2170
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Consumer's Energy has marked several of our trees for

Customer Question

Consumer's Energy has marked several of our trees for removal to add new power lines. We have existing lines that work just fine. We are trying to figure out if they have the easement rights to do this and if we have recourse against them.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. We are trying to see if we can solve this without one.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: We do not have any documented easements on our deed. We contacted the county offices, but were informed the county records do not have easement information on them. My husband has filed to complaints with Consumers, but we have not gotten any response.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Cities often reserve easements for utility companies. You would need to contact the county clerk of property records in your county to determine if any easements are listed. If so, it will be very difficult to combat that.