Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am an 80 year old woman moving from Georgia to New

Customer Question
Hampshire. I put my house...
I am an 80 year old woman moving from Georgia to New Hampshire. I put my house up for sale and accepted an offer 6/21/16. As of today 8/22 I still haven't closed. Three closing dates have been missed do to things that are any fault of my own. I have spent about $2000.00 in travel expenses to have my daughter flown to help me with all that needs to be done. I have also put $10,000 down on a home in New Hampshire that I am in jeopardy of losing if my house doesn't close soon as I need the money to pay for it. Is there any way to recoup. my losses.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

There needs to be valid reason for the delay. Is the purchaser having an issue getting approved for a mortgage loan? What was the initial closing date on the contract? Do you have a signed listing agreement with the agent?

Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

If the closing delays are no fault of your own and you did not agree to delay the closing, then you should be able to hold the buyer's feet to the fire and argue breach unless there is some exception in the sale contract that allows for the delay; such as, for example, not being able qualify for a loan. If you can show breach then you can sue or threaten to sue for the benefit of your bargain and/or any consequential damages that you suffer if the sale does not go through as per the terms of the contract.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer