How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been asked to sign a lease for my college daughter.

Customer Question

I have been asked to sign a lease for my college daughter. If she gets renters insurance am I protected in case of accident or fire.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Steve. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you would be protected up to the limits of the policy for fire or accident. You might want to protect yourself a bit more by increasing the limits on the renters' insurance and/or purchasing an umbrella policy of your own. I had 3 children in college at one time and I was a co-signer of all their leases and did both of the foregoing. You would not, however, be covered by things not covered by the rental insurance policy, such as unpaid rent, early lease termination, and/or damages caused by the tenants or their invitees.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

On the renter's insurance policy, you will want to make sure you are named as an "Additional Insured."

Related Real Estate Law Questions