Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I've lived in my condo (1 of 4 units) for 5 years with no

Customer Question

I've lived in my condo (1 of 4 units) for 5 years with no active condo association. Now a new owner has purchased another unit and has appointed himself as trustee and is demanding all these rules and charges from us. There was a Condo Trust created about 15 years ago, but once the 4 units were sold, the Trustees faded into the sunset. The 4 units have sold over again a few times since. The condos have decreased in value extensively. This new owner is not occupying the unit, but renting it out. Can he alone come in and do this to us.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If there is no condo association in place, and if there has been no condo association in place, then it is very unlikely that this sole person can create/resurrect an association, appoint himself as the president and start making rules.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Instead, the owners of the association would likely have to resolve create an association, establish bylaws, etc.