Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own a lot in a cul de sac neighborhood, no house yet.

Customer Question
Somebody who owns timber land...
I own a lot in a cul de sac neighborhood, no house yet. Somebody who owns timber land behind my lot split the one large tract, into 3 smaller tracts. The one that backs to our lot is now land locked, the way they split it. The guy is now suing us for a right of passage easement, to build a 60'x200' access road, across our lot, to then build a neighborhood behind us. I've been told he can't force passage, once it's a subdivided, existing neighborhood with covenants in place. But nobody can tell me an actual law or ruling that says this. This person suing us is a lawyer, AND a judge in the same area as the property, which is in Louisiana. HELP!?!?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/19/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Unfortunately, they can request a servitude be recognized by the Court. Servitudes in Louisiana are akin to easements. See Louisiana Civil Code article 693:

Art. 693. Enclosed estate; voluntary act.

If an estate becomes enclosed as a result of a voluntary act or omission of its owner, the neighbors are not bound to furnish a passage to him or his successors.

If the property is truly landlocked, then the owner has a right to request a REASONABLE egress/ingress road. Now, what he may be requesting may not be reasonable and the Court may with the length/width/location of the path and make it smaller and more straight and narrow. However, he is likely to get the servitude request. And this is true even if the land has been subdivided (even by them) and there are covenants in place (not sure who told you otherwise).

The best argument one has here is to minimize the path that the party is requesting. And also note that it is not as though that they would OWN the path or could use it for anything else aside from egress/ingress.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Let me clarify - the article is one of several that applies. You'd have to show that the property was enclosed by his actions only. If so, then he would not get servitude. However, the onus is on you to prove this. The rest of the answer applies as is.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law