How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34256
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Castaic, California. I have a beautiful view of

Customer Question

I live in Castaic, California.
I have a beautiful view of the lake from my backyard and my next door neighbor is planning to build an addition to his house that will block my view. What rights do I have?
Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Primarily your rights will depend on your city (if you live within the city) or county (if you are outside the city limits) code.

What you are describing is governed by local "zoning" laws.

Many cities and counties have laws that limit the ability to build up and block neighbors views. If your neighbors are in violation of a local ordinance? You can request the city or county take action to correct this

Now...if there is no city or county ordinance on point?

It is MUCH more difficult.

You may be able to sue to block this...but frankly speaking if there are no local zoning laws? You will likely be wasting money to try and stop this...since the law defers to local zoning laws in this area...if the city county do not have rules to enforce this the court will not likely allow you to deny your neighbor the right to develop their property.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you have a right to a view independent of city or county rules, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Real Estate Law Questions