How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2245
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In my town, there is the following ordinance: 10-1.6

Customer Question

In my town, there is the following ordinance:
10-1.6 Declaration of Public Nuisance Conditions:
j. The accumulation or storage of junk, including tires, lumber, household appliances or parts thereof, inoperable vehicles, or parts thereof, furniture, sinks, toilets, cabinets or other household fixtures, equipment or parts thereof, rubbish, garbage, debris or salvage materials, which constitute visual blight and are visible from a public street, alley or adjoining property;I have cleaned up the property as requested, however, code enforcement and the zoning officer are demanding they have the right to access and inspect the entire property.Are they allowed to do this? It is a very old property and of course, would not meet current code requirements. I am very concerned. What rights do I have.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Are they wanting to come into your home or just check what is viable from the street or adjoining alley?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not asked to come into the home yet, just review the entire property, even what is not visible from the street.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

They do have the right to walk the outside of the property based on the violation (that your have rectified) Personally I do not see why they need to come on your property either.

Having worked for local government I know that they can perform an on site inspection BUT they cannot go into your home.

They can also be very overzealous and I don't want you to incur any additional violations and I a suspect that this may be their true intent, t as I can tell that you are.

What I can do is provide you with a link for attorneys in your area that deal with land use matters and provide FREE consultations that would be able to contact the town and tell them that the situation has been rectified and if they are unable to see violations as stated in their own ordinance , (which constitute visual blight and are visible from a public street, alley or adjoining property;) this appears to be unnecessary and harassment. Which county is your home located in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Please give me a few moments.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

This is a link for Attorneys in the area that provide FREE consultations

California also offers legal assistance throughout the State at low cost as well as Pro Bono (FREE) Attorneys at

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. Please let me know how everything works out.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.


Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.
You do not seem to be happy with the service that was provided. Did you have any additional questions for me? The Attorneys only receive credit for their time and work if the customer rates us positively.
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am a new contributor here to assist you with further information. Under 10-1.11 it would appear that if permission is not granted by the owner, an inspection warrant is necessary. These warrants are not difficult to get but is an additional step the code enforcement and zoning officer must take to access your property. I have attached the link below you may want to ask them why they are stating they have right to access? Yes they do but only with your permission and if not permitted an inspection warrant is required.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.