How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38185
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well I'm wondering if there is any action that could be

Customer Question

Well I'm wondering if there is any action that could be filed against the owner of the property management company that oversee's the condo I am renting. My husband's startup just received funding from a strategic partner to open up a new location in a different state. When I stopped by the property management company (the entire company consists of two people btw) to find out what the repercussions might be for breaking the lease early, he became very upset and started in on me about how he would make sure our credit was ruined, so we couldn't do business and our rental reference from him would be negative and on and on. I explained that we didn't intend to shy away from our contract and would do whatever we needed to make sure it was a smooth transition, even find and provide a new tenant that met their rental criteria. Nothing satisfied him, so I even wrote him out a check for the remaining 4 months of rent to prove that we intended to fulfill our legal obligations. With the agreement of course that if they found a new tenant, we would be refunded. Long story short, my husband and I talked it over and we decided I would remain behind with our little girl while he went to expand the business and I would join him in 3 months. (It's a beachfront condo and we have loved it here). When I emailed the landlord that I wouldn't be breaking the lease after all, I received a very threatening, intimidating email in response in which he said he copied his "attorney" that was also telling me he would be doing "occupancy checks" every week and continuing to threaten financial ruin. I was confused because we have not broken our lease, we were just asking for information and we have alway been model tenants. To make this get even stranger, it turned out the email he copied for his "attorney" was false and the actual person responded letting him know that he had owned that domain for quite a few years now and berated him for the things he was saying to me. But then this third party male stranger has begun soliciting me because he now has my home address, email address and is also now aware that I'll be living alone for 3 months with no husband. All because he was copied by my landlord on an email he should have never been privy too. This is all taking place in Florida. What can I do about all this? Especially to resolve the breach in my privacy and safety?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Regardless of what the landlord says, he can't just come around and do occupancy checks as that would interfere with your rights of quiet enjoyment and of sole use and occupancy.


So if you haven't breached the lease in any way, the landlord has no legal grounds to take action against you. If he tries to come around and interfere with you using the property, you can file a formal complaint for harassment and use his emails and actions as evidence against him.


As for the 3rd party, you just need to respond to them stating that if they contact you again you will file a formal criminal complaint for harassment as you do not want any further contact with them.