How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6903
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in mu home which was built new for 10 years. A

Customer Question

I have lived in mu home which was built new for 10 years. A neighbor built a home on their land a couple years ago , a pole barn last summer and an in ground pool this summer. It has changes to drainage of the land and now the stream of water during a storm instead of running in the back of my yard far from my house now flows directly towards my house like a river , floods my yard, floods my basement and my driveway. He has a ditch line which goes under his driveway to to the end of his property directly into my back yard. My basement has flooded in the past prior to the neighbor building but only when my sump pump was not working. Now I have 3 sump pumps in the basement and a french drain attached to a sump pump outside all working and my basement foods every time it rains hard due to the water that drains down from his property. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Any issues that were caused to your property as a direct result of the neighbor the neighbor liable for the damages and the correcting the situation. Can you tell me if you advised the neighbor of the situation?

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see my question?

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

You would send a certified letter return receipt requested to your neighbor advising him that he is causing an ongoing issue and damages to your property. You would give him a certain amount of time to rectify the situation or let him know that will file a lawsuit against him. The court can order him to rectify the issue and you can receive damages.

Where in Ohio are you located so I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in your area?

You may also want to check with the municipality to see if he was required to obtain permits as he may be breaking local laws as well.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.