ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

Does a landlord have to return a security deposit if it was

Customer Question

Does a landlord have to return a security deposit if it was paid by labor in lieu of cash?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Did the landlord lease specifically value that labor at a certain dollar amount? I assume that this is labor that the landlord otherwise would have done or increased the value of the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The labor was the dollar amount of the security deposit. Yes the property needed to be cleaned in order to occupy the house

I see. Thank you. In the sense that there was labor in lieu of security deposit, and that this would serve as the security deposit, essentially the landlord is "paying" the tenant that amount, and the tenant is turning around and paying that to the landlord (although this is one "transaction"). So even though it was not a cash payment, the labor had a specific value, was not otherwise required of the tenant, and it was something that the landlord would have had to have done and paid for. It was valued at that specific amount, and as such would qualify for a security deposit, which would have to be returned (or otherwise validly deducted from when the tenant leaves).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!