How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1377
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If something major is missed during a home sale inspection,

Customer Question

If something major is missed during a home sale inspection, who is responsible?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 11 months ago.

If it is something that an inspector should reasonably have caught, then the inspector can be sued for missing it. If it is something that the previous homeowner knew was there, but didn't tell anyone about, then the previous homeowner can be held responsible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This was a home in foreclosure and had to be purchased "as is". Is there any recourse in this regard?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 11 months ago.

Not against the previous homeowner. But if you got an inspector, then potentially against the inspector.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The inspector on one hand seems to want to help, on the other he is NOT owning up to any responsibility. He indicates his inspection is rather superficial as a matter of course. He states it is always recommended that certain "professionals" be called in to look more closely.I think he should have mentioned certain deficiencies in the existing foundation, i.e. piers not contacting pier blocks and there being approximately 5 inches difference in the level of the front of the house compared to the back.
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 11 months ago.

I would suggest hiring a local real estate attorney who can help you seek any potential claims you might have.