How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law is in the process of selling a piece of

Customer Question

My father in law is in the process of selling a piece of property to our church on which to build a building. He plans to sell the property at less than the appraised value. Can he write off, as a gift, the value of the property above the amount that he sold it to us?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, your father in law can, as part of the property transfer, make a charitable donation of part of the fair market value of the property to the church. He will need a formal property appraisal of the value of the property done to establish fair market value of the property and then deduct the cash paid at closing from the fair market value in order to establish the amount of the donation and then the church as well will have to memorialize/confirm the donation in writing for tax purposes. But yes, if he sells the property to the church for, say 50% of the property value he will be able to write off the other half as a donation to a charitable organization.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Posted in error

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

Please ignore the unintended post by the other professional.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Related Real Estate Law Questions