Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I live in a rental property and am having an influx of

Customer Question

I live in a rental property and am having an influx of cockroaches. They have checked and they are not living in the house but are coming in from outside. I have huge gaps in my garage where they are getting in at and they say they can fill them in. Is this true? Where and how do I look up the building codes? Also could I just caulk/fill in the holes and gaps myself?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. The landlord should get an exterminator. There is what is called a warranty of habitability, which is common law. A tenant has a right to live without an influx of cockroaches. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They have brought out an exterminator. He said they are obviously getting in through the large gaps around my garage doors. There is a 3 to 4 inch gap where the 2x4 around the garage doors doesn't touch the floor. I also have skinks in garage because of this. Shouldn't she repair the gaps?

Yes. From what you say, to rectify the problem is to repair the gaps. This would not seem to be an undue burden and not much of a demand on your part.

Do you have any further questions? If so, let me know. Otherwise, please provide a positive rating so I can get credit for helping you. Thank you.