How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live on 1 acre with a 3 bedroom/3 bath main house and a 2

Customer Question

I live on 1 acre with a 3 bedroom/3 bath main house and a 2 bedroom/1 bath guest house. The guest house is not attached in any way to the main house and is not rented out and hasn't been since I moved here over 30 years ago. The property is listed as a duplex by the county and they are steadfast in not changing it to single family. It costs me added interest and the requirement for additional assets when I try to refinance the property.
Is there a way to have the county change the property to single family status?
The only time anyone stays in the guest house is when my family visit for a few days and some of them stay there for a day or 2. The guest house does not have a separate address and uses the same driveway as the main house.
Any advise you can give me would be much appreciated.
I live in Sacramento County, Ca.
Thank You,
Leonard Watts
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 11 months ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You should be able to take advantage of the Assessment Appeals Process to have this addressed. The primary reason that the property is classified as a duplex is for tax assessment purposes. Therefore the Assessment Board should have authority to reclassify the property.

Accordding to California law one purpose of the Board is to "determine the classification of the property that is the subject of the hearing, including classifications within the general classifications of real property, improvements, and personal property. Such classifications may result in the property so classified being exempt from property taxation."

It is not a guarantee that they will make the adjustment, but it is a place to start. Further if you are unsuccessful at the Board level, you will be able to appeal their decision to Superior Court.

This link describes the assessment appeal process and includes the forms and detailed information that you need:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Real Estate Law Questions