Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in an Apt that got flooded I lost clothes shoes

Customer Question
towels and sheets I haven't...
I live in an Apt that got flooded I lost clothes shoes towels and sheets I haven't had my kitchen sink in 3 weeks so needless to say im spending money eating out. Now I'm experiencing maggots that's turning in to flies not to mention the very busy mold and mildew. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/14/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What was the cause of the flood?

Do you have a written lease?

Please provide me with more details about the situation.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The flood was started by a broken pipe in another apt that was flooding for at least 3 days before they did anything the fire Dept was called and told me to go to code enforcement I do have a lease and I paid my rent still on Aug.5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I meant visible mold and mildew is there anything I can do plz help me

Thank you for your follow up.

When did flood take place?

When does your lease expire?

Did you make a demand to your landlord / management company to fix damages and/or to relocated you or pay for your relocation costs while repairs are done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
July 25 I went to the office and reported the leak and on July 28 @ 4:39 I went to the rent office where the manager gave approval for the plumbing Co to fix the leak, mind you they sent them away because they didn't like the price first quoted so while my apt and things are getting soaked they brushed it off. If I would have never went there we would have waited another day to get started yes I asked about compensation for my lost things and for having to take off work on Aug 5 and she said she has to see what she can do. This complex has 814 units that's bringing in close to a million dollars monthly and for them to actually put off the job because of a $2800.00 initial quote by the plumbing co because "it was to much" is too much. It was not a priority.

Thank you for your follow up.

When does the lease expire and was the leak fixed?

Did you give a written notice to the management company that you have mold in your rental unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did

When was the written notice received by the management?

Did the management company respond in writing to your written notice?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My lease expires next year June. They got pics of the mold and mildew. The initial agreement was to bring in new ones but then they " treated " the mold and put the cabinets back up. But when code enforcement came and talked to them they said they're gonna put in new ones. And yes the leak got fixed on July 29 2016 they painted over the mold that was on the wall and put those nasty wet and molded cabinets back up

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you contact the code enforcement officer to do a follow up inspection to determine whether the rental unit is safe?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called them but they put the cabinets up the day before so they used my pics and went to management and management said they were gonna replace the cabinets for real this time and give me $200 off my rent but I've lost so much more than that

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you file a claim with your renter's insurance policy?

Tina, Lawyer