Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My condo limits pets to two per unit. There is also a weight…

Customer Question
My condo limits pets to...
My condo limits pets to two per unit. There is also a weight limit. An owner has 3 large dogs that he considers service dogs. His condo is 610 sq. Ft.. he also has a wife. Can the condo enforce the 2 snimal limit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The Fair Housing Act makes it unlawful to discriminate against any person in the provision of services or facilities in connection with his dwelling, because of a handicap of that person or any person associated with that person. 42 USC 3604(f)(2). Discrimination includes a refusal to make reasonable accommodations, and a request for an exception to a condominium’s pet restriction for a service animal is considered a request for a reasonable accommodation.

An association is entitled to information that allows it to make a meaningful review and an informed decision on the request for reasonable accommodation.

Even if the association limits the number of pets allowed in a unit, the association cannot consider a service animal a “pet” and refuse to made a reasonable accommodation based on a no-pets or limited pets rule.