Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

When selling a home and moving when does the furnishings

Customer Question

when selling a home and moving when does the furnishings have to be removed from the home?is it before the final walk thru of anytime before the closing?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Technically after the Seller has been paid, the day of the closing. That's when the Buyer pays for the property. However, by mutual agreement, the furnishings can be moved before the closing. However, this is not a good idea because anything can happen at the closing. The deal can be called off or the bank can forget to send proper closing documents. So, it is prudent to wait for the closing to be completed before moving furnishings.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive noticed a 800 discrepency on what the final pay off is ( the statements to me when the mortgage is paid ) and what the final closing numbers arehow do I rectify this?also, my ex wife had my furnishings removed from the home before the final walk thru and doesnt have the items what can be done in this situation?

Ive noticed a 800 discrepency on what the final pay off is ( the statements to me when the mortgage is paid ) and what the final closing numbers are

how do I rectify this?

Response 1: You need to contact the closing Attorney/Settlement Agent about your concerns.

also, my ex wife had my furnishings removed from the home before the final walk thru and doesnt have the items what can be done in this situation?

Response 2: You have to ask her to pay for the replacement cost. If she refuses, then you may have to file lawsuit against her for the value of your items.