How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a house an property in Georgia. The deed is in my

Customer Question

I own a house an property in Georgia. The deed is in my name. My father lives there and has for the last 11 years. This is my retirement property and I am near retirement now. However my father is now claiming a major interest in the property stating that he spent a large amount of his own money to build the house. This is new information to me. There was never a verbal or written agreement between us as related to the use of his money and it translating to ownership in part or whole to the said property. Can he claim ownership of the property? Our verbal agreement was that he would pay the taxes and insurance until my time to retire. I also told him he would have a place a certain to live in t I'll he passed
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

Unless there was a written contract in which you promised your father a share of the property if he did work on the property then he owns no portion of your property and will fail in any lawsuit he might file. Your father has no legal interest whatsoever in your property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Real Estate Law Questions