LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

CONTRACTOR AND I RE-ROOF A HOUSE BACK IN 2008 I GIVE THEM A

Customer Question

I'M A CONTRACTOR AND I RE-ROOF A HOUSE BACK IN 2008 I GIVE THEM A 4 YEAR WARRANTY THE PERSON I DID THE CONTRACT WITH HAS SINCE PAST AWAY AND NOW THEY ARE HAVING ROOF LEAKS AND THE GRAND DAUGHTER IS SAYING SHE IS GOING TO GO AFTER MY BOND TO GET MONEY BACK TO RE-ROOF THE HOUSE THE THING IS THAT WHEN I DID THE CONTRACT WITH HER GRAND PARENTS THE ROOF HAS A LOW SLOP AND I RECOMENDED TO INSTALL ROLL ROOFING BUT THEY HAD SHINGLES AND THEY WANTED TO INSTALL SHINGLES AGAIN I FEEL THAT FIRST OF ALL ITS BEEN SEVERAL OF YEARS AND WARRANTY IS OVER ALSO THE PROBLEM STARTED CAUSE THE A/C UNIT WAS LEAKING WATER FOR YEARS AND IT WAR OUT A AREA OF THE SHINGLES DOSE SHE HAVE A CASE
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, your 4 year warranty is long since passed and it cannot be extended without your approval. Only if you have been given notice of the need for repairs under the warranty before the 4 years passed, would you have any liability to do the repairs.

As for the death of the original owner, your contract was with the owner of the home and not with their granddaughter. The granddaughter has no legal right to enforce the contract you made with the property owner----unless your warranty specifically stated that it was transferable to a subsequent owner---and even then the daughter would have to show that she now owns the property AND that the warranty is still active---which it clearly is not.

Feel free to ignore the granddaughter's demand, and let her try to make a claim against your bond. The claim will go nowhere because the warranty is no longer in existence for that property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug