How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6857
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much does it cost to do a quiet title?

Customer Question

How much does it cost to do a quiet title?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

I dread this type of question because there is no definite answer for the cost.

Quiet title actions can be filed for a few different reasons. Sometimes a person is using another owners land wants title based on adverse possession (squatter's rights) other times a mortgage needs to be released. How much the case will cost depends on whether the other side will put up opposition and delay the procedures and turn this into a costly undertaking.

$10.000 is usually a good number to start with. That being said if there is no pushback in the case it cost no more then the filing fees and any attorney fees. In fact it could be less then $1000.

The facts would be important to help you determine what cost may be involved. Like anything else if the other side fails to answer or fight the quiet title a simple default judgment can resolve the situation.

I would not discourage anyone from filing this type of action based on the circumstances.

If you can tell me where the real property in question is located I can provide a link for land use attorneys that provide FREE consultations that could listen to the situation and review documentation and give you a personalized idea of the actual costs.

Please let me know where the property is located.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Why do you need a quiet title?

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

I can provide a link for attorneys in the Detroit area that provide FREE consultations as well as some information on filing the action in Michigan. Give me a few moments please.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

This is the link for Attorneys in that area that provide FREE consultations

This is a link for a general overview of the process

This is the Statute that governs in Michigan:

"600.2932 Quieting title; interest of plaintiff; action by mortgagee; establishment of title; tenancy in common; actions.

Sec. 2932.

(1) Any person, whether he is in possession of the land in question or not, who claims any right in, title to, equitable title to, interest in, or right to possession of land, may bring an action in the circuit courts against any other person who claims or might claim any interest inconsistent with the interest claimed by the plaintiff, whether the defendant is in possession of the land or not.

(2) No action may be maintained under subsection (1) by a mortgagee, his assigns, or representatives for recovery of the mortgaged premises, until the title to the mortgaged premises has become absolute, or by a person for the recovery of possession of premises, which were sold on land contracted, to whom relief is available under subdivision (1) of section 5634.

(3) If the plaintiff established his title to the lands, the defendant shall be ordered to release to the plaintiff all claims thereto. In an appropriate case the court may issue a writ of possession or restitution to the sheriff or other proper officer of any county in this state in which the premises recovered are situated.

(4) Any tenant or tenants in common who recovers any undivided interest in lands in an action under subsection (1) against a person or persons who may be in possession thereof, but who does not show in the trial of such action that he or they have any interest therein or title thereto, may take possession of the entire premises subject to all of the rights and interest of the other tenant or tenants in common therein.

(5) Actions under this section are equitable in nature.

History: 1961, Act 236, Eff. Jan. 1, 1963 ;-- Am. 1964, Act 8, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964"

This is a link where you can review a sample of the legal documents required to bring this type of action.

Thank you for using JA. If you have any additional question please do not hesitate to ask me. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

This is a general information and pursuant to the terms of service we are prohibited from entering into and attorney clients relationship with the customer. I provided a link for attorneys that provide FREE consultations in your area that can assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Related Real Estate Law Questions