How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My property was redeem for unpaid back taxes(state of

Customer Question

My property was redeem for unpaid back taxes(state of Gary,Indiana) ,I was notified roughly 57 days before my redemption period expired. Th 1st notification came as a door knocker that was left on the door unsigned by the server or author. I was then sent a certified letter roughly 1 week later(May 23rd 2016) informing me that my property was redeemed for un paid taxes and I had until july 22 of 2016 to pay the unpaid balance. I was unable to acquire the complete amount of money that was owed on the property of $7226.00. I just received a order to issue tax deed, Can I contest this and win and how can I g about the procedure representing myself.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are 3 notices of tax deficiency required in Indiana for a tax sale. If you did not receive notice prior to the tax sale, you have to file a petition in court to vacate the tax sale and lien for lack of proper notice. If you cannot afford an attorney, I would suggest using legal aid, as the attorney will be able to deal with this more efficiently. If not, you would need to file a complaint/petition in court explaining your situation and asking the court to vacate the tax sale based on improper notice. You have to serve the tax assessor and the person who redeemed, if anyone, a copy of the petition/complaint and a summons to answer the complaint.
If they did send you the notices though before the sale, then you would not be able to sue to vacate any sale.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a notice that I my taxes were behind and needed to be paid on 2 different occasions but I wasn't informed the property was bought on the back taxes until 57 days before my ended redemption period. The property according to the record was bought 3 months before I was informed by certified mail leaving me only 57 day to pay what was owed. This is what Im trying to find out, is that legal and inline with the was of Gary ,Indiana
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
They were supposed to provide you notice within 60 days of redemption period, so you would need to use that as your basis for filing suit to vacate the sale.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What was your follow up question?