How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2242
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of hiring an attorney to sue the city I

Customer Question

I am in the process of hiring an attorney to sue the city I live in for an enormous fee for uncut grass. They sent notices which were all returned because they had the wrong address. The city contractor cut my grass 9 times and I have over $3000 worth of fines $500 each administrative fee. This is crazy and why was the individual reporting my grass the city zoning and code administrator? She actually was driving to my property. What type of lawyer do I need to retain? Is this normal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You want to sue the city for enforcing their rules?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the city targeted my property to try and force me to sell it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the administrator make it a point to go by my property?
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. It is normal that a City will send out personnel for purposes of determining if ordinances are being followed. This certainly would be the case in the event someone reported grass being too tall which is likely and hopefully the case rather then you being targeted. That would be unfortunate if a municipality engaging in this type of activity.

However, there is an issue here in which you did not receive the notices and there may be an opportunity if you retain a local counsel to negotiate a reduction (significant hopefully) in the fines issued to you.

The type of attorney one could hire in this situation is a land use/ real estate attorney or an attorney that deals with administration law. You could contact your State Bar Lawyer Referral Service for assistance in obtaining a lawyer referral. In addition, two resources that are helpful for a directory of lawyers is and Both sites allow you to narrow your search for a particular area and also have lawyer reviews based on client and peer review.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer at the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.