How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118131
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a house fire and the contractor gutted my house,

Customer Question

I had a house fire and the contractor gutted my house, received over $40,000 and skipped out. He disconnected his number and removed his equipment. What is my recourse since my mortgage company will not receive additional funds since they say the house is barely 35% complete.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to file criminal charges against him with your local police/district attorney's office. You also need to file a complaint with the state attorney general's office. Unfortunately, if you do not know where to find this guy, it is going to be next to impossible to sue him to try to recover your money and you are going to need to wait for the police to find him and then you can sue him for the money he took for work he did not complete. This is a theft by fraud case, so you need to convince the DA to take the case against him so you can get your money from your mortgage company.