Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

When my neighbor's trees encroach unto my property and

Customer Question

When my neighbor's trees encroach unto my property and uproot my fence how do I get the neighbor to remove the trees?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

In most states, the general rule is that when trees encroach onto your property, you can remove the encroachment. That means that you can dig down on your property line cut and remove the root of the tree so that it does not travel under your fence and damage it; however, you cannot compel a neighbor to remove the tree itself that is on his property. That's pretty much the law everywhere.

Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.