How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  real estate law
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a 3 family house, renting an apartment next to an

Customer Question

I live in a 3 family house, renting an apartment next to an active heroin addict who will not leave me alone. I have 2 dogs, one is a boxer who used to growl at this man, but the man has slowly been wining him over by giving him treats even when I asked him not to. This man follows me when I walk my dog. I have basically given up walking my dogs, except the other night walked my boxer at midnight hoping to avoid this man. But he came up behind me, walking HIS dog. He comes around from his deck and up onto my deck and recently came into my apartment and stole a candle from my kitchen. I reported this to my Landlady and asked her to see if my candle was in his apartment. It was. I reported him to the police, even filing my own complaint at the police station. The policeman who came told me that this tenant bothering me had every right to be on my deck and ignored my complaint of stealing. The police threatened me with action against me for filing a false police report. My landlady could evict this tenant but says she feels bad for his girlfriend. I have bought a house which will close in two months time but I am actually beginning to feel terrified in my own home. He is always looking through his windows, around the sides of his porch when I go outside, which I no longer do. I lock and close every window. I am a prisoner in my own apartment. I am a paralegal and my boss says not to do anything until after I move. What are my rights? Why do I have none that anyone will enforce? Neither my landlord nor the police will help me. The police did tell me that there was a restraining order out against this man, but wouldn't tell me by whom. What do I do? I am young, live alone, am physically small. Neighbors have heard this man say offensive and disgusting things that this tenant would like to do to me. I'm horrified that I have no help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

The state that your question pertains to is not showing up. Can you tell me the state?

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. And I understand your concern for your safety and well being. I suggest you could file a Statement of Criminal Charges against him for the theft, as well has harassment and stalking. You can do that at your local court house. If you provide your state, I can be more specific about that.

But essentially if the police will not take a report then you have the option to file the Statement of Charges and have a summons served for him to appear in court. And you also can seek a restraining order to keep him away from you while you are out of your apartment, walking your dogs, etc.

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

When you file your Statement of Charges with the court - I suggest you will want to be very detailed as to date and times that he has followed you - and also the date you requested he not provide your dog any treats or food and the date he did after your request to stop. And also you want to use buzz words such as "Concerned for my safety and well being" because he is always lurking, has been in your apartment when he stole the candle and even on your private deck when you have not invited him.