Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have property in a home in Florida, I live in

Customer Question
Massachusetts. The person residing in...
I have property in a home in Florida, I live in Massachusetts. The person residing in the home will not respond to my requests for arrangements to retrieve my possessions. What are my recourses?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/2/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.
I will be happy to answer your question.
Please note that any information is provided for educational purposes only!

Can you please provide me with the details as to what property and how ended up in the house located in Florida?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was dating this person. We were setting up a home together. I purchased several items for the home that I would like back.

Thank you for your follow up.

What were the items that you have purchased and what was the total value of such items?

Do you have receipts or other proof ownership for these items?

Did you have any type of written agreement related to this items or their use with the homeowner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought everything online, so yes I have proof of purchase. The total amount comes close to $5,000.

Thank you for your follow up.

What type of items?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Furniture (2 chairs, 2 bar stools), 2 expensive framed posters ($300/each), dishes, cutlery, shower curtains, a bed frame, towels, pillows, closet organizers.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Two computer monitors, a desk chair, area rugs
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/13693969_310406172631070_1950271168_n.pdf/Invoice_4_2016-06-30.pdf?oh=8358accfcfe88556a27ffd3ce336bc7d&oe=57A1F220&dl=1

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you have any type of written agreement about these items with the homeowner?

What was the reason you did not remove these items when you realized that the relationship is over?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. No written agreement.We live in different states, I had not moved in yet...but was planning to after a vacation we took together. I never returned to the apartment. This was back in March. All attempts to reach him have failed. He is not responding to phone calls or the invoice that I sent.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the first step would be to hire a local licensed civil litigation attorney in the locality where the house is located in Florida and where the ex resides.

The local attorney can send a formal demand notice for the ex to return all of the items that do not belong to him or to face legal action.

If the ex fails to return the items, then local lawyer can pursue a small claims lawsuit for the value of the items retained by the ex, plus court costs and potentially legal fees (if the court approves).

You can find an experienced and skilled local civil litigation law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to civil litigation law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law