Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can We Visit Our Apartment If Tenant Does Not Pay Rent?

Customer Question
We are the landlord but...
We are the landlord but our tenant hasn’t paid for the past 3 months. This is in East Dundee, Illinois. He did sign the notice to leave the apartment yesterday but hasn’t called us back to return the keys nor is he responding to any of our phone calls. Is it okay for us to go to the apartment to heck and see if he left?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer
Has he signed a release of tenancy?
Is there a written lease?
Does it address landlord access?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he had signed lease but that has expired. He has been paying month to month and also kept missing payments in between. The last we provided him with a notice that he signed to leave the place 7-31-2016. I am not sure if he did. He hasn't called us and nor he is answering our phone calls.
Illinois law gives you the right to access the premises if you reasonably believe the tenant has abandoned the premise. Leave a message giving 24 hours notice that you will be entering the premises to check the condition and see if he is still living there. If he is still living there then you will need to file a forcible detainer to have him evicted. You can not use self help to evict him.
Loren, Lawyer