Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

We bought our home 11 yrs ago. There was a nice shed with

Customer Question

We bought our home 11 yrs ago. There was a nice shed with cement floor on property when we bought, Shed has been there 21 yrs now new neighbor says our shed is approx. 2 feet on his property(just mone corner of my shed)Will I be forced to move my shed? Thanks ***** McKean County
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Here you have not had ownership for 21 years as adverse possession as PA law requires.

Law for reference

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/pennsylvania-law/pennsylvania-adverse-possession-laws.html

Since you cannot claim legal title by PA Adverse possession here you are likely going to have to move it unless you can buy the feet from the neighbor or get an easement here.Those are the options to moving it.Unfortunately the adverse possession law here in PA requires you to have used it for longer than you have owned it.

Offer to pay for an easement or buy it if you want to avoid moving it here.Those are the options I am afraid.

Please don't shoot the messenger here, thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Adverse possession here runs from the period you owned it not the period it has been there.