How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41633
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bought our home 11 yrs ago. There was a nice shed with

Customer Question

We bought our home 11 yrs ago. There was a nice shed with cement floor on property when we bought, Shed has been there 21 yrs now new neighbor says our shed is approx. 2 feet on his property(just mone corner of my shed)Will I be forced to move my shed? Thanks ***** McKean County
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Here you have not had ownership for 21 years as adverse possession as PA law requires.

Law for reference

Since you cannot claim legal title by PA Adverse possession here you are likely going to have to move it unless you can buy the feet from the neighbor or get an easement here.Those are the options to moving it.Unfortunately the adverse possession law here in PA requires you to have used it for longer than you have owned it.

Offer to pay for an easement or buy it if you want to avoid moving it here.Those are the options I am afraid.

Please don't shoot the messenger here, thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Adverse possession here runs from the period you owned it not the period it has been there.