Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I was approved by the HOA to build a carport. I did and

Customer Question
I was approved by the...
I was approved by the HOA to build a carport. I did and spent almost $5,000.00. Now the other three women hate it and have gotten an estimate to tear it down to be presented at the Tuesday evening meeting. The vote will be three to one and I want to know how I can protect my investment.
If they want to reimburse me then I would be agreeable to removing it.
I want someone to go to the HOA meeting with me Tuesday.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Hello again.

If the HOA already approved the carport, then it is too late to get you to tear it down. As you suggested, they would at the least have to reimburse you for what you paid for the carport, and in addition pay for the cost to have it removed. Your argument at the meeting is simply that you would not have spent $5,000 were it not for the fact that the carport was already approved.

Given these facts, you have a good case to keep the carport. But at the very least, you have a good case to be reimbursed for every penny that you spent.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney