How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2184
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are involved with a general contractor on a home building

Customer Question

We are involved with a general contractor on a home building project...I am trying to find out if they are in breach of contract. They have hired an unlicensed subcontractor to frame our house. They never gave us all of the required residential notices for the state of Oregon at the time of entering into contract. This was a cost plus 10% job and they have inflated the costs as much as $30,000 for the concrete and framing areas of the job. I have received the actual bid from the lumber yard and it is no where near the proposal they submitted us based on that bid. I am just trying to figure out were to go from here!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this. Yes I believe there is a breach of contract claim for the various issues you mentioned. You have a couple of options. One you could file a lawsuit. Alternatively you could Terminate this contractor and hire another then sue the old contractor for the difference. The one concern is these types of contractors do not pay their subcontractors. And you end up getting Liens placed on your property