How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3991
Experience:  30 years of experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ye ma'am, I live in the state of v Mississippi, about 3

Customer Question

Ye ma'am, I live in the state of v Mississippi, about 3 weeks ago me , my husband and my 3 children moved into my mother in law's residence, post selling my home. Soon after we all learned through local media that husband had gone about 90 miles out of town and committed a crime that caused him to have a Grand Larceny charge. Before knowledge of this when we first moved into the 2 Rooms provided by his mom he had asked her to let him and his family stay for a couple of months until we could get on our feet... what ever was discussed between the two, I don't know but 8 days ago ago she began to have a different attitude with me and my children when her son, was apprehended and taken away. The personal belongings of mine, his, and my kids along with our clothing,bedroom furniture and dishes that would not fit in the 2 temporary rooms, were allowed to be placed in her shed out side She now refuses to un nail the laundry room that has my washer and dryer in it, and she placed a second lock on the shed stating, " all I know is that laundry door isn't going to be in undone and that lock i just paid for and put on the
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: The lock i have on That I had just paid for, won't be undone either" she and her daughter, grand daughter, they are washing their clothes and whenever I've knocked, called out, texted, to ask if it were OK to wash our clothes she told my 17 year old daughter, " I'll have to think about that". Can she do this legally? I just want to get our stuff in our room, the shed, and my washer and dryer and go to my moms. She took the lock off of the one restroom available for us all that I bought and put up their for privacy, can she legally remove that lock and hasp?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: My Mississippi
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I sm not a tenant, I have no written or verbal agreement with her at all, I have our conversations recorded where she says it's not her fault that my husband , her son went out and got felony charges but she's opened her house up to us and she has 5 forks, several Tupper Ware bowls, a couple of baking dishes, and a couple of stainless steel boilers that are now missing and until those v ask get brought back to her then I can't get my washer, dryer, or our personal property or if the shed.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: She also placed private property, do not enter signs on the door leading to where my washer and dryer are located.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Even though you do not have a written agreement or lease, the law in Mississippi still treats you as if you were a tenant. This means that you have all the same rights as a tenant under the law. As such your mother-in-law can not take your personal property. This taking of your property is called a "Conversion."

You can 1) Sue your mother-in-law in small claims court to obtain your property. 2) You can also call local law enforcement to file a complaint on the conversion. (It is likely that the police will tell you that it is a civil matter and that you need to sue. But they may decide to intervene so that you can get your property.)

This link has useful information for you:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Real Estate Law Questions