Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law
10707909

In the state of Utah. If an employee sells their house in

Customer Question

In the state of Utah. If an employee sells their house in another state to relocate to Utah, then she were to be let go,
does that cancel out the At will employment, because there was property involved. This person has been living in Utah for 2 1/2 years, and has been trying to sell the house for that long. Business sense it is not working out for employment.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. The only thing that would "cancel out" an at will employee would be an employment contract. I am sorry that this is happening but the employer is not responsible for the property purchase made by the employee.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This person does have an employee contract. It says that we will pay closing costs and will pay her temporary housing for the 3 months, which we did 2 1/2 years ago and we will pay her closing costs now. To cancel out the "Employer at Will" what example might there be in the written contract?

That was not a contract. A contract says she will have a job title at whatever salary for the next 3 years.

What you are referring to is part of a offer.

And with the job offer came the agreement to help with relocation costs. But that does not negate her being an At Will employee.

She would have needed to have the Employment Contract as I stated. And that is the only thing that would make her NOT an at will employee. Because the contract stipulates a period of time and at the end of the time, it expires, and thus her employment unless the contract is renewed. In this case, there is no contract. She had a job offer with an offer to help with relocation costs.