How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Blake Your Own Question
Blake, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 44
Experience:  Counsel at Warningstar Intelligence
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a broker in California. I did a 4 way lot split in

Customer Question

I am a broker in California. I did a 4 way lot split in 2006. I want to sell one of the parcels. I would like to create and get approval on a tentative 4 way lot split on that parcel to increase value for sale and pass the map and approval on to the new owner who would meet conditions for final map and record the same. Am I violating any 4x4 laws by creating and submitting tentative map ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am not sure what you mean by "4x4" laws. Can you please clarify? I just have not heard that shorthand before.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California subdivision laws allow 4 way lot splits without coming under the authority of the map act. Any split of 4 or more parcels must comply with the stricter regulations of the same. People have done 4 way splits on 4way splits under the same ownership to avoid the map act. This is illegal. My question is can I create the tentative map under my ownership and have the new owner record the same? Is this a dept of real estate question or can you help. Thanks Gary
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is very CA-specific. I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.
Expert:  Blake replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gary,

The last expert was correct that this is a very specific problem. Unfortunately, this questions is so specific to your particular plot of land that you will need to consult with a local real estate lawyer in order to get the right answer. I could try to make something up and tell you what you want to hear, but I'm sure you would rather hear the truth and be guided towards the right answer to your problem, rather than get bad information.

The reason that you need a local lawyer is that the most important step you should take is to look at the local restrictions on your particular piece of property. These restrictions can include things such as ordinances, neighborhood covenants, and deed restrictions which may prohibit – or fatally complicate – your plans. Your local real estate lawyer should also run a title review as a matter of course in order to search for any issues with the title that would prohibit your plans.

I wish I could do more for you, but unfortunately, we are in no position to do any of this through a public, online internet forum where no attorney-client relationship can exist.

I strongly advise you to find a local real estate lawyer and have her follow the steps I described above. I sincerely ***** ***** all the best with this.


If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the “accept” button now so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided.

There is no additional cost to press the “accept” button, but if you do not press it, then the website will keep all the money that you have already been charged and will not share it with me. I am not an employee of this website, I am an independent consultant.

Once you press “accept” and leave a positive rating to this answer, this question will lock open and you will be able to return here at any time to ask me follow-up questions for free, which I will be happy to answer.

If there is any way I can provide better service, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Related Real Estate Law Questions