Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am selling my car wash and the person buying it wants to

Customer Question
pay to do some improvements...
I am selling my car wash and the person buying it wants to pay to do some improvements like landscaping and putting in more equipment before closing. Does this constitute any type of posession ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
7/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, this does not constitute possession if he merely wants to make improvements on the vehicle, but the title is still in your name. However, he can try to claim later that you were going to pay him for that work even if he does not close on the deal. So to avoid this, you and him want to enter into a valid contract that specifically states that the work he would be doing does not give him possession of the vehicle and he knows that he would not get payment for it and does not expect payment.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law