Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am a grantee to an easement that has recently signed an

Customer Question

Hello, I am a grantee to an easement that has recently signed an agreement to said easement that states a 50/50 split on costs for repairs and maintenance on the driveway. We have a bridge for our access, however it technically connects their property, as they own a small portion of land on our lot. Would the bridge be considered a continuance of the driveway, since the survey depicts the easement leading up to, passing over, and continuing past the bridge, therefore constituting a 50/50 split of the bridge cost? Thank you! Aaron
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

We have a bridge for our access, however it technically connects their property, as they own a small portion of land on our lot. Would the bridge be considered a continuance of the driveway, since the survey depicts the easement leading up to, passing over, and continuing past the bridge, therefore constituting a 50/50 split of the bridge cost?

.

Yes, in order to maintain the easement, you have to maintain anything on it that makes ingress/egress possible so that the easement can be used. So the bridge may be owned by one or the other of you, but the maintenance requirement would fall equally on both parties according to your agreement.

.

.

thanks